Visit the Farm Store:
Parish of Milton
Parish of Milton in the hendred of Ock is situated 51.6 degrees North and 1.3 degrees West, on all sides of the crossing of A34 and A4130, south of town of Abingdon in the Vale of White Horse, South Oxfordshire. It is approximately 70,5 miles away from London, 5 miles away from Abingdon (nearest district town) and 4 miles away from Didcot and nearest railway station - Didcot Parkway.
Until 1974 the parish of Milton belonged to Berkshire but then, in the course of local government restructurisation, county borders were redrawn, the borough of Abingdon (an ancient town which has been for centuries a capital of the Royal County of Berkshire) was abolished and, instead, there was created a new district of the Vale of White Horse in non-metropolitan shire county of Oxfordshire.
Parish of Milton is over 1000 years old and its population has recently reached 1000 people. These days it consists of three villages, a number of farms, has two churches, a Manor House and a football club. In the 20th century the parish has changed probably more than in a thousand years before, but it still does not fail to enchant both the parishioners and the passing-by travellers with its natural and man-made scenery.
Warm words written about this area over a hundred years ago by a popular writer are still true today:
"Milton is the most tranquil of villages, an oasis of elm-trees at the edge of the plain of the Vale, with the Downs rising behind it, and from it to Steventon, runs an avenue of elms, shading the "causey", and following the course of the brook of many names, the only natural channel for the escape of surplus water from this southern district of the Vale. The approach to that "causey", along the garden wall and the magnificently wooded grounds of Milton House, has a peculiarly quiet if sombre fascination of its own. Milton House, which the wayfarer may see from the public road, is an Inigo Jones house, a noble structure, possessed of a private chapel, and the village inn will serve for purposes of wayside refreshment, welcome as the glorious trees of Milton, if the time of year be summer, and if summer be worthy of its name."
James Edmund Vincent
"Highways and Byways in Berkshire"
Copyright © 2007-2009 Parish Council of Milton (Abingdon) Oxfordshire | Powered by
Listed in WebOxfordshire Online Directory and Great British Links.